Two months ago, we tucked them in and they freaked the h out. (pardon my french)
Suddenly she was terrified of the dark and shadows and the longer she cried the more she convinced Tate to be afraid too. As a band-aid to the situation we plugged in a dimming lamp we used to use in their nursery. It felt ridiculous to me. Even the lowest setting was so bright! But sleep is king in this house, so we gave in. the next morning we bought a fancy new princess night light at Target. They were excited until bedtime when suddenly this light didn't compare to the bright light of the lamp. Grrr. We debated for as long as could and some how they ended up with both lights on.
Over the next few weeks several variations took place, one light, both, the other, half and half (don't ask). I took the advice from my mom friends and decided not to choose this battle, that they would give up the light as soon just as suddenly as they needed it. Then Tate broke the lamp yesterday. And we realized the princess light was MIA.
The last couple of bed times have been rough. Last night they cried and argued and finally passed out in the dark. I should mention here that I'm not a heartless monster. The hall light is on and shines under their door. Tonight we were talking into letting them sleep with the lion and tiger flashlights. They roar when you turn them on and turn off automatically after a minute or so. There has been crying and arguing and alternating roaring coming from their room. I was sure this was my chance to wean them off the extra light, but now I'm not sure. The last thing I want is for my kids to be scared, but I don't want them to need the light either. Does providing the extra light validate there is something scary about the dark? Or is is just comforting them while they are so little and need it?
I'd love to hear how other moms are doing it! If princess night light doesn't show up soon I think we'll be shopping for a replacement.














No comments:
Post a Comment