After she said amen, he asked for another story. She sighed and said she thought another song was better than another story, but "let me get a hat on first." I smiled and continued to eavesdrop outside their door for another 10 mintues, reporting to daddy from time to time what our sweet girl was singing about.
Just the other day we were talking about splitting them up soon, big girl and boy rooms for everyone. But these are the moments that give me pause. How special their relationship is now and these nighttime rituals they are developing are not for me to disrupt. Not just yet. There will be enough time for "No Boys Allowed" signs hung from bedroom doors. I want to cultivate their frienship as long as I can.
Tater told me that she has been teaching him ballet at night and that sometimes she sings him a lullaby that talks about it being sunny the next day and how they will play together, how she loves him and that it's time to go to sleep now.
She may only be 3 minutes older, but I've never been more proud of our big sister.














No comments:
Post a Comment