Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Extra Income

I don't know about you guys, but our paychecks are always stretched thin. I get paid hourly where I teach and it's tough call for me to work extra hours (to get extra $$) or to rush home to my kids (to get extra time!). It's an ongoing debate. So I try to find little ways to earn extra money to not only ease the pressure I feel, but also to earn treats for myself (i.e. coffee!)

Here are a few things I've been doing, I'd love to hear yours!
1. Fill out surveys. I make $3 for every survey I do for Pinecone Research. I would've thought this was a scam if my friend hadn't suggested it first. It's not a ton of money, maybe one a week-ish. But that's buys me the occasional cup of coffee from Metropolitan Market. I also got sent 52 diapers once to try out, that was an awesome money saver! But I don't get to test products very often.

2. Blogher reviews. I signed up my blog for the wait list a loooong time ago and just recently got approved. I don't get enough hits on here to make a lot from advertising, but I am able to review books and other random things they send me for $25 a pop. Right now I am reading a new book in (gasp!) hardback and that's a treat in itself! When I publish what I thought of it, I get paid. That is a treat for my husband. ;)

3. Free Samples. Okay, not actual money in the bank, but since I have started signing up for free samples my mailbox has become a lot more exciting. I only sign up for stuff we actually use because I don't need to become that crazy old lady with drawers full of sugar packets. It stretches grocery trips out the slightest bit and maybe I get to try a brand we don't usually splurge on. 20 minutes ago I realized I was out of laundry soap and found a sample of Purex I had stashed. Feels like a win to me! There are a ton of pages on Facebook that will keep you updated on freebies and deals out there, I think I follow three or four and I generally sign up for a sample every day or so. 4-8 weeks later, surprise! My favorite is the magazine deals. Right now I get 5 magazines and 3 are totally free. Two, I paid about $4.00 for a subscription.

4. Craigslist. I troll this sites FREE section almost daily. I don't go crazy with it, but every so often there will be something we have been needing/wanting that someone else is just giving away! For example, our washer broke last summer-free New (to us) washer on Craiglslist! 5 months later our dryer broke (joy!) and again, found a replacement online. Also, I really wanted a desk for a room downstairs and there are a ton for free every week. I picked one and they even delivered it for us for $10.00. Much better than splurging on a new desk and makes me happier than going without. Note: Pay attention to measurements. My new desk didn't fit through the doorway I had planned on. We use it in another space, but this will save you from feeling like an idiot in front of your husband.


There you have it, hope this helps!




2 comments:

  1. Wow you got a working washer for free?! I'm impressed! Great find. Love the tips.

    ~Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I mean, it is probably 10 years old, so not the fanciest model out there, but it works!

    ReplyDelete