Monday, September 24, 2012

Book Review: Daring Greatly

I am always excited when I get to review another book for Blogher! Hello, free books! This one I was particularly interested in because Daring Greatly by Brene Brown is more of a personal and reflective read. In a nutshell, she encourages us all individually and as a society to let ourselves be seen and heard in an authentic way. Based on her years of research she explains the how and why to make that possible, what she calls "wholehearted living." The beginning of the book was slow going and dry to me, felt a little rough sludging through her research, but I grew to appreciate her message. I think one of my favorite parts was when she talked about how we react to seeing other be real and vulnerable in life. We always commend their strength and the 'guts it took' to put themseleves out there in whatever the situation, but when it comes to ourselves we are shamed and embarassed at being vulnerable. It was a little bit of an Oprah "a ha moment" for me. I LOVE LOVE when people are authentic with me and every good relationship I have cultivated has been because of shared or witnessed vulnerability. Why should I beat myself up for showing areas of weakness or hurt then? It may be what others will truly see and appreciate about me. As a teacher I am always "on" and trying to appear like I have it all together. This book was a great reminder for me on the value of being vulnerable and even further, in how to cultivate that in my children. Check it out here on Blogher!

No comments:

Post a Comment