Monday, October 22, 2012

Book Review

I just finished reading Diary of a Submissive and writing a review is sort of a challenge without getting as graphic as the book. I read Fifty Shades earlier this year and despite how much my husband made fun of me, I actually really enjoyed it. Sure it was just as graphic as this one, but underneath the soft porn was a love story that I couldn't get enough of. I really cared about the characters and wanted to see if they could make a real relationship work out of all the 'kinkery'. I was hoping for something similar with Diary of a Submissive, but was pretty disappointed. This book is written more as a memior and a young woman's struggle to explore her sexuality with a few random guys and one possibly serious one. I never really cared about her or her issues. The guys were boring and I honestly couldn't get invested in any of it. I felt like the point was-she likes pain and isn't ashamed of it. Well...great. I suppose some discussions can be wrung out about power, and personal choices, but it would be a stretch. If I'd recommend one, at least Fifty Shades isn't pretending to be anything other than what it is. That's why it's a bit of a guilty pleasure read if you can stomach it. But Diary feels so fake and forced trying to take a more analytical spin on it. Check out the Blogher bookclub for more discussion!
This is a paid review, but the opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment