Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Good American

Blogher Book Review! Sorry I haven't posted much lately, I have HIVES. Pretty much anything that doesn't depend on me for survival is being ignored. Luckily, I have a nice stack of books to help distract me from the itching-seriously! Next on my list for blogher was A Good American by Alex George.

This sad story was exactly what I need to escape my pity party. Oh you have hives? At least you aren't a pregnant outcast, vomiting night and day in the bowels of a ship. That's basically how my pep talk went.
I'm a big historical fiction fan, so this book had a lot of what I enjoy. It has intimate and emotional details about people in the past and events I've only heard about. Specifically, the book centers around one family and their growth over several generations, from Germany to America in the early 1900's. My complaints are few and nitpicky. I would have loved a little more energy from our narrator, but the emotional roller coaster this family is on was enough to keep my attention until the last page. Don't read if you can't stomach some depression and tragedy. Frankly, I crave a book like this from time to time. Endings aren't always wrapped up in a pretty bow.
Check out blogher for weekly chats about this book and others. I'd definitely recommend this one!

This is a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment