Thursday, April 4, 2013

Lost a Tooth!

The dentist told us in December that Gracie's teeth were starting to loosen. She isn't 5 yet so it seemed so early to us. Just another sign that my babies really, really aren't babies anymore. A few weeks ago she got a good wiggle going and then it was just a matter of time! When we told them about the Tooth Fairy they didn't believe us. Tate said, "That's not a thing, Mom." Ummmm...how hard to I try to concince him?
Gracie cried because she thought the whole process sounded terrifying, which really, I guess it does. You are going to lose a body part, it may hurt and bleed. Then I am going to make you sleep with it until a stranger sneaks in and takes it. But don't worry! They will leave you money! right.
Luckily, a few kids in pre-k have been losing teeth and now she is excited.
Then Sunday before church it was wiggling a lot and it was starting to hurt. She said she just wanted daddy to yank it out!

Before

I thought daddy was going to pass out. He IS squemish around blood anyway, but he gets mad when I say that. He was just really worried he would hurt her. She was so brave though! It took two little tugs with a tissue and popped right out. She didn't even flinch! Just got a drink and was ready to show off her new smile! I think it was much more tramatic for us realizing that we are now in the phase of literally losing pieces of their babyhood. *tear* Next stop, tooth fairy pillow! I'm so glad I just happened to buy her one at this craft fair I went to over Christmas. I just figured of the two of them, she would probably be first and tucked it away. She was super excited. Bedtime couldn't come soon enough!
There was much debate over how much/what the TF would bring. Kids in her class have been getting full on gifts like Christmas or something and that wasn't really a precedent we wanted to set. I told her that I used to only get 50 cents for my teeth and she said, "Well maybe they weren't that shiny?" Great. Now she is going to think her teeth aren't high enough quality if she doesn't get big money? We decided to get her a toy from mommy and daddy as a celebration gift for her first tooth and gave it to her before bed. Then we said it didn't matter what the TF brought, it would we fun. Thank you Berenstein Bears and the Tooth Fairy episode being on that night before bed! Seriously an identical story! She woke up to a WHOLE DOLLAR in her pillow and a note from the Tooth Fairy herself thanking Gracie for the beautiful tooth. Another milestone come and gone. Tate and Benny are eagerly wiggling and checking their teeth daily now so they can catch up. We laugh, but my heart's prayer is still slow down little ones, slow down. We want a little more time with those smiles we have come to love so.

No comments:

Post a Comment