Thursday, July 26, 2012

Back from Disneyland!

Well our California Adventure has come and gone! (pun, slightly intended). Overall, I'd say it was a success, we had a great time at the parks and seeing family. I would just fly if we could. I am not a great road tripper. It wasn't awful, just hard. There's so much to say so I will just go day by day and remember what I can. If I don't write it out now, I never will!

Day 1: We left friday and drove just 4 hours south to Vancouver. We stayed with our friends at their adorable home/farm. My kids are crazy for that place. They'd be happy to stay the week there. We got big kid sleeping bags for G and T and they slept in them all week leading up to the trip. They thought they were just for fun at home, so they were excited they had a purpose on the trip as well, ha ha. We stayed up late and it was a great night.

Day 2: The next morning was a 5k for our friend Jordan and it was nice to see other people and get some exercise before being confined to the car for endless hours. We ate lunch at the park and headed out about 11:30am. We packed up the car with bins of various items: coloring supplies, craft supplies, tons of snacks, frozen juice boxes and grapes (because we have no ac) and as a last resort dvd players. I sorted little toys into paper sacks to give them at random times.


I think after 5 hours everything had been given out in attempts to distract them from the heat. One we crossed into California we stopped at a Dairy Queen for ice cream, potty break and to play at a local playground. It was awesome because it was actually a covered one. We all needed a break. We gave ourselves an hour.
We drove a few more hours until it was too hot to bear and stopped somewhere for dinner.

There was some pouting and they were a little wild, but we let it go. There were no major meltdowns until right before we got to the hotel for the night. We got to Anderson, CA around 8pm and Benny was just DONE. I know the feeling. We got in the room and they were SO excited. They jumped on beds and went nuts for about an hour, then it was lights out for everyone.


Day 3: More of the same, but hotter and with desert. This was the hardest day. We had a spray fan so the kids took turns getting wet to cool off (and so did Sean and I). We took turns driving and stopped for milkshakes, lunch and dinner. We got to great Grandma's and Grandpa's house in Huntington Beach about 7PM! It took a little while for the kids to unwind and fall asleep, but I don't remember much. I think we passed out by 9PM.

Day 4: Such a nice day! We had no plans, but to enjoy some family time. We slept in until 8am (grandpa gave cups of cheerios to the early risers and put on cartoons!) and we had a slow morning. We went swimming in the pool and G and T learned how to "walk" holding on to the pool walls. Then lunch and naps. So happy they slept because I got to read and eat In 'n Out burger. :) I was an idiot and didn't put on sunscreen so that was when I developed a major sunburn on my chest. That evening we went to Sean's cousins' house. They have 5 kids ages 9-3! They tried for one more and got boy girls twins 3 years ago. We hadn't even seen them yet! It was so fun and the kids all loved each other. They ran around outside while we BBQ'd and I coveted their dining room table with benches. Perfect for a house full of kids!
We tried to get a picture of all 9 cousins eating dinner. Benny and their little Zoe were best buddies by the end of the night and kept kissing. They were adorable. I think we left about 9PM (waaaaay past bed time) and went right to bed, the next morning was Disneyland! I'll finish the rest tomorrow, my massive pile of laundry beckons!

1 comment:

  1. oh! it looks like you had so much fun! i'm totally jealous :)

    i love the picture of the kids in the bed!

    ReplyDelete