Monday, March 7, 2011

Food, Inc.


Sean has been on an organic/whole foods kick for months now and I have sort of half-heartedly been along for the ride. I fully agreed that the kids don't need to eat all that processed food/sugar that is out there, so we have been making healthier choices. This weekend we checked out Food, Inc. from the library and now I am so annoyed. Watching how so much of our food is made (if you can even call that meat food?) is so disturbing. Not only will I have to give up fast food, but our whole way of eating is about to get a major overhaul. I'm astonished that it is so much more expensive to eat real food and that our country has built a system that rewards cutting costs and poisoning our bodies. I can't in good conscience feed my kids those burgers or chicken anymore. Why did I let him talk me into seeing that movie, ugh. I'm not a doctor obviously but I can understand enough to see we have to protect our kids and ourselves from what's out there. Just hearing about Kevin's law was enough to make me sick.

How backwards is it that fruit and veggies are so much more expensive for families to keep in their homes than to drive-thru for a big mac?

Please look into what you are eating and feeding your families! There is little that is more important!

You can watch Food, Inc in bits for yourself here

4 comments:

  1. I know! I've been trying to be organic since Liam first started solid foods and it is so hard spending half a paycheck on groceries. Why are all coupons only for crap? You're right about our society forcing bad food on people by rewarding shortcuts. Ug. Good job to you for doing your best to nourish your family well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I mean we have to pay twice as much for actual food instead of chemicals that just look and taste like food. It's ridiculous! There is a year round farmer's market in the U district I'm going to check out this week.

    We will save money on doctors bills in the long run I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought of doing a CSA farm box subscription? It has been on my to-do list forever. I am planning to sign up with Full Circle Farms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did full circle farms for a couple of months. It was hard bc they sent so much and a lot ended up going bad before we could use it. Sean said there are new pick up locations we could do to save money on the delivery charge and then we can choose a lower quantity too. Also you have to really be on top of it to edit your list, or they pick for you and we got random stuff we didn't want. It's $$, but a good option. He is planning a garden pretty soon here...

    ReplyDelete