I was excited to read it because on the book jacket the author of The Paris Wife had said she loved it. I loved THAT book so I hoped that was a good sign! The book was slow going in the beginning, I didn't really care about the characters until the 5th or 6th chapter really, but reading a story set in the 1920's was new to me and interesting in itself. The story centers around Cora, a housewife from Kansas picked to chaperone a young would be movie star to New York for the summer. There she learns about her past as an orphan and gains the confidence to seize control over her life again. There were some plot twists I did NOT see coming and some heartache that kept me engaged with Cora, but there were many times the story dragged and I just didn't "get" her. She drew so much strength and says she learned so much from this teenager, but I just didn't buy it. I wanted to, but I didn't. I would be been more interested if we left out the movie star altogether and just focused on Cora's life, past, and changes in her community during that era. I was always rooting for her. This was an easy read and I'd recommend it for a weekend away or vacation for sure! Thanks Blogher for sending it my way! *I was compensated for this BlogHer Book Club review but all opinions expressed are my own.














No comments:
Post a Comment