Thursday, May 31, 2012

This Kid.

We don't know what to do with him.
He can be incredibly sweet and cute, but lately we feel like we are living with a terrorist. Perfect example: As I type he is in his room screaming/crying. He has been in time out for about 25 minutes. This is because he REFUSES to say sorry to Sean for not listening. He was put in time out for a simple reason and he always throws a fit. The kicker is after. He is the most stubborn kid on the planet! He will scream and we come in and tell him why he was in time out and ask for an apology. All we get are blank stares and silence. We tell him he has to stay in more time out then. Repeat. Right now we are on the 7th or 8th cycle. He has hissed at us a couple of times, even yelled "daddy! I say sorry now!" but when we come in, NOTHING. Then he screams as soon as we walk away. I seriously wonder how he isn't hoarse by now. It's actually kind of impressive. Gracie and Tate went though a very willful stage when they turned 3 and Benny is nearly there, but they were never this bad. It has transferred to bedtime now as well. He used to go down fine, now he screams at his bedroom door and we quickly learned it was just a new ploy to waste time (get more toys, one more song, etc.) We aren't having it. It's like Crying It Out with an infant all over again! What kills me is that he is reportedly well behaved at daycare and even sleeping over at my sister's last weekend. I mean, I'm glad he isn't a monster to other people, but why do we get this special treatment? Everyone keeps telling me "Oh he's just testing you." but isn't it over now? We've made it clear he will be in time out until the end of time if necessary. JUST MOVE ON! I feel like we have to prove this point to him every.single.day. I am open to any and all advice while I carefully craft my craiglist ad. He would be in "Baby and Kid stuff", right?

3 comments:

  1. Yep, going through the same thing with Liam right now. No idea what to do. One day he is the sweetest kid in the world and obeys perfectly, the next day he is a total terror. Can't seem to find any pattern or reason for the mood swings. I guess it's good to know it's probably just a phase common to their age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it sounds like we need to ditch them with our husbands and go out to lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my....sounds like one of my twins. i hope you get good advice so i can steal it! :)

    ReplyDelete