And here I sit. My babies are four today. I am finding myself much more sentimental and emotional than I anticipated. I really didn't want to be a working mom today. I wanted to take them to the zoo, hold hands, and listen to their silly stories. I've been negotiating with Tate all week about not growing any older/bigger. He likes to taunt me by saying 'next year I will be five, then six, then seven, then eight, then nine, then 10!!!!' just to watch my face melt. "Then I will be big and drive a car! and make dinner! and mow the lawn! I will do all that big boy stuff!" I told him I would miss my little boy too much so we settled on more birthdays but he has to still cuddle me when he is older and he "will stay this short". Ha ha, he is such a sweet, silly little guy. Gracie is much less excited about all the growing up stuff, she just wants to go to school and be in charge of her brothers per usual.
I met them at the sitter's right after school and brought cupcakes and juice. We had a mini party with their daycare friends. We came home and daddy was preparing a breakfast for dinner feast as they requested. I got chocolate milk to elevate the meal even more. We sang and talk about when they were born again. They LOVE to hear about who was there and what we thought, etc. "I was a baby-then what happened?" We talk about how tiny they were and how they cried at night and shared a crib. Then I get weepy. ;)
Our sweet neighbors came down and wished them happy birthday in sidewalk chalk. I love living so close to my friend and her kids (the same age). They have literally been friends their whole lives (Ok, so far...)
Next we opened presents! Tate was super excited with the Minnie Mouse helicopter he got from Benny. He saw it when we visited the Easter bunny last month and has been asking us to get it for his b-day ever since. Benny also got Gracie a Jessie (Toy Story) shirt. We got them each a Toy Story doll and matching Leapsters. We figure those will come in handy when we drive to California this summer! Gracie has caught Sean's flu so she was happy, but subdued. She actually said she didn't want ice cream! That's when you know a kid is sick! She had a little because we put candles on sundaes and sang Happy Birthday. By this time Benny has just started saying "happy birthday everyone!!" Probably feels that way to him. ;)
Finally we watched 'one more show' and read a couple books before going to bed. I think everyone was exhausted and happy. This weekend is the big superhero party and I'm sure that will feel much more exciting to them, but I think these quiet family celebrations are my favorites. I get to cuddle and keep them all to myself while we talk about how much they are growing. Such bittersweetness! (Is that a word?) These are the golden moments of parenting I think. The privilege that all the long nights and whiny days earn you. I feel so blessed to be their mama! Just praying now that we are healthy this weekend so everyone can enjoy the party. More to come!















It goes so fast! My twins just turned 9 and my youngest is almost two. I'm much more emotional lately that I ever used to be.
ReplyDelete