So last night they are scheming away and I go to yoga. When I return I get the full report from Sean.
From 7:15-7:45PM: Tate cried to get out and go potty. We just MADE them potty before we put them down at 7! But he knows if he says "Poop is coming out of my bum!" He gets out. Sean let him go and suprise, surprise, he was bluffing.
8PM: Sean goes into check on what sounds like a junior high shop class.
Sure enough, the kids have MOVED THEIR BEDS. The went from opposite ends of the rooms to meet in the middle and form one giant bed. Their rug is rolled up in the corner and everything from the top of the dresser is on the floor.
G and T are happily re-decorating and she says "I want to sleep in Tate's bed".
Daddy: "No, we are moving them back. Do NOT move the furniture!"
G and T: ::Whining, gnashing of teeth, etc.::
Daddy: "Tate, do not move your bed again."
Tate: "Ok daddy, my not do it ever again!"
He puts everything back, shuts the door and listens.
G: "Tate, I think you should move MY bed." (clever one, isn't she?)
T: "Okay!"
Daddy: ::Opens door:: "No, you should NOT. I said NO MOVING BEDS."
G and T : "ok daddy!"
He leaves and listens again.
G: "Ok Tate, let's move our beds."
You see where this is going? Nowhere, the answer is nowhere.
Finally they fall asleep about 8:30pm.
Very frustrating at the time, but kind of funny in retrospect. Until 6:22am when I hear the sound of moving furniture.
Me: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"
G and T and moved beds together blocking the closet and door.
T: "Yeah! My like this spot."
Me: "Too bad. Those aren't where the beds go and you can't block the closet and door. We can't get clothes out and it's not safe."
G: "WELL, we just don't like those spots."
An impasse.
20 min later as I get them off to daycare, I throw out the idea of separate bedrooms so they will sleep and not play. Grace starts crying immediately and screams "I don't want my own room by myself!" Tater doesn't really get it at first, he thinks he just gets a new room with Gracie. Then he says, "But my want Gracie come to my room, I miss her so much." with a quivering lip.
*sigh*
I'm at a loss here. Is it time to move them apart? They've slept together every night since they were conceived! How can I rip them apart? I cried when they went to separate cribs!
The alternative is getting more dangerous. I'm just waiting for furniture to fly out of windows, or worse. It seems they really egg each other on and maybe alone they would get bored faster and go to sleep? My long term plan has been to do and Boys and Girl room, but I don't think Benny is ready for that yet. I think Tate will just mess his sleep up. But if we all have separate rooms, someone has to go downstairs. How do I work THAT?
Please advise. I am open to any and all ideas short of bringing them into my room or giving them away on Craigslist with purchase of a Pottery Barn spiral votive holder.














My MoM's group just had a discussion on this. It made me decide to leave my kids in their cribs for a bit longer. :) Here are some of their solutions... each worked for at least one person (but not all):
ReplyDelete*Put a gate between their beds (only works if you have a gate big enough to separate the whole room.
*Sit in the room with them until they fall asleep, ala supernanny, gradually backing off.
*Rewards/consequences. For each night that they stay in their own bed, they get a treat (sounds like Tate would earn more than Grace), and if they get out, take something away.
*Blackout curtains. I'm sure you've thought of this, but it was the determining factor in one of my MoM group friends' case.
*Split them for bedtime and then move them once they are asleep so they still wake up together. Just do bedtime routine in another room, even if it is yours. Tell them once they are able to stay in their beds, they can be together again.
*Give them a book/toy and tell them that they don't have to go to bed, but they HAVE to stay in their beds. Not ideal, but better than pushing furniture around.
Sorry you are going through this. :(
Oh my word. They are SOO. Darn. Crafty! Why does it have to happen at such an early age {darn it!}. I'm laughing as I read this, but I feel for you - big time! I have NO idea what the answer is to this, but it sounds like Johanna has some great ideas on what to try. Let us know how it goes and hang in there!
ReplyDelete~Cathy
Thanks Johanna and Cathy!
ReplyDeleteWe have blackout curtains, but I still think summer is partly to blame for this. The last month or so of longer daylight is killing me. I also have been doing the treats in the a.m.! It's almost comical how SHOCKED they are when they ask for one and I'm like "Um NO YOU MOVED FURNITURE AND BANGED SHOES ON THE DOOR FOR 30 minutes last night!" They have a blissfully different recollection of events. Or then they say, yeah but THEN I went to bed. I really really really don't want to have to sit in there till they fall asleep! We can't let the terrorists win!