2 weeks ago
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
I made my baby bleed!
I am wallowing in shame! I can't believe I made my poor baby girl bleed. Here's what happened: I had changed Gracie's diaper and she was being all smiley and cute, I, the competent SAHM decided to give her finger nails a trim. I am getting a sharp corner when I know I snipped off some skin! her little face contorted into crying in slow motion. Then then the bleeding started. I thought it would just be a spot and stop, but no, it kept coming! I quickly went through all of my mommy baskets below the changing table looking for ointment, band-aids, anything! Turns out I had not prepared for this! By this time she is done crying (thank God) but it getting spots of blood all over her out fit and the changing pad. I wrap her little hand in a washcloth and run to the bathroom. I look through the band-aid box and grab butterfly closures (what are these, and why do I have them anyway?) They look like they would be the right size for her tiny hand,so I race back to the nursery. I try putting it on and quickly realize this is so not going to work-it's not even sticky! So I race back to the bathroom and grab a big band-aid. Have you ever tried putting a band-aid on a 3 month old's tiny fingernail? If she wasn't squirmy enough, there is blood dribbling all over her hand making me more nervous and shaky. I finally get the band-aid on in some sort of clump around her finger and I am 99% sure that the bloody spot is on the absorbent part. At this point my adrenaline slows down and my mommy guilt kicks into high gear. We cuddle for 15 minute and I promise to buy her a pony, a Tiffany bracelet and anything else she wants. We are calm and she lays down to play on her mat. Fast fwd 10 minutes. I come to check on her and Tater (who has been happily playing in his bouncer the whole time) and she has lost the band-aid. Underneath her the finger is still bleeding and now there is a blood stain on the play mat (so that when CPS comes they will see now two locations I let my baby bleed!) I try to re-attach the band-aid and it won't work. Then, in a stroke of mommy genius, I grab a discarded baby sock (I knew there was a reason I didn't clean yesterday) and put it on her hand as a sort of cast/mitten. It stays put. She looks pitiful, but at least she a) can't suck on her bloody finger and b) can't stain anything else. My poor little girl. I am supposed to be the great protector and provider, not giving my baby botched manicures in my free time! I took a picture to show Sean when he came home. I will post it when I figure out how. I'm sure she won't be scarred for life, but I might be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













lol you are not alone. I did this too when Brynlee was a month old. Felt sooo bad
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteNo wonder my finger hurt this morning :P As BFFs Gracie & I have developed one of those, when she hurts, I hurt & vice versa kind of a bond. Sounds like you got it under control but it must have been full on panic mode at first. When she's old enough to understand I'm sure she'll get a good laugh out of this tho...and that picture is so adorable!
ReplyDeleteOh bless your heart! My husband always says, "They'll never remember, and we'll never forget." This is clearly one of those instances!
ReplyDeleteThink you showed tremendous resourcefulness. :)
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your kind kind words about Twinspiration! That means SOOO much! :)
Love your blog, will be coming back for sure!