2 weeks ago
Monday, July 28, 2008
We did it!
So our first night away from the babies went pretty well. We dropped them off at 10 am at my mom's on Saturday and my aunt showed up ready to help. I gave them the printed schedule and instructions with misc. info in case they do something out of the ordinary. I didn't realize how much stuff we would pack with bouncers and play mats, clothes, bottles, the pack 'n play-all that stuff. I barely remembered to pack anything for myself! We fed and cuddled one last time and it was really hard to actually walk out the door knowing I wouldn't see them for 24 hours! We had to drive 5 hours to central Oregon for a wedding. It was actually fun for the first couple of hours, but then my mommy paranoia started to kick in and I called to check on them. I called the rest of the trip after every feeding. So about every 3 hours or so: did they spit up? Poop? Nap? Are they fussy? Fussier than normal? Are they smiling? Do they miss me?!! :) My mom and aunt did a great job of trying to follow our schedule and make them nap. I don't know what was harder-calling and hearing them cry or hearing them coo and gurgle happily! Napping is the hardest part to tell people about because the twins always wake mid-nap and sitters want to pick them up then, but really I know that after about 10 minutes they will fall back asleep if you leave them in the crib! So other than explaining my logic on a few things to my mom, things went great. We woke up at 6:30 am and sped out of Oregon to head home. We both were so excited as we got closer and closer to the freeway exits! I was bouncing up and down in my seat when we saw my mom's house and I flew out of the car as soon as we stopped. Sean and I had to race b/c we both wanted both babies to cuddle first! I really don't think I realized how much I missed them until I saw them again. My heart was full again! It was great. So we fed and cuddled and spent the afternoon with my family for a birthday party and I tried to let a couple of people hold the babies too, but really I still wanted them all to myself. It helped to hear how other moms have done it and to call all the time. Dh and I had a great time dancing and catching up with old friends (and showing off pictures!) At one point we were dancing and I said, "hey, I remember you". We get so caught up in all the baby business that it was nice to see the guy I married again. I don't think I will be leaving them again for a long time, but our next challenge lies ahead-a plane ride/trip to California in a few weeks to see great-grand parents. We must be crazy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













Wow good for you! Your post made me smile when you said you raced to the door lol Love it. Glad you got away for a bit :)
ReplyDelete